Friday, September 28, 2007

Power Outage


Saturday morning, I woke up around 6:45. With the time change and all, that's about as late as I've managed to sleep on any given day. Today the plan is to go into the office for half a day or so, since Tuesday was the big Ganesh Immersion holiday. This is where the streets of every city are clogged with Hindu worshippers carrying statues of Ganesh to dunk in their favorite body of water. Ganesh is the Hindu deity with the body of a man, but the head of an elephant.

Around 7AM, I plugged my laptop into the wall, and simultaneously, the power in the entire apartment went dead. I instantly thought that my laptop was somehow responsible. But after looking up and down the hallway, and out at the other dark windows in the building, I figured it was a "planned" power outage.

All of this reminded me of my days in Turkey. Once in a while in the dead of winter, especially when a cold snow storm blew in from the Ukraine, I'd be without power and water for up to two days at a time. The temperature in the apartment I lived in then would drop steadily. By the time the power came back, it was frigid inside, and the toilet was in need of a good flush.

At least here the weather is warm and the water is on. Plus there's bound to be power at the office. Or, maybe not...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home